Friday, January 26, 2007

Homemade Ravioli

I have been cooking this week a little despite a nasty headcold.
I finally got around to making chicken ravioli this week also. They are SO yummy!!! And honestly they are not that hard to make. THe first few times took me forever, but now that I have made them several times they are going much faster.

I use one cooked chicken breast ran through the food processor. After that I have tried several different things. My favorite, and least healthy, is adding some Classico Brand sundried tomato Alfredo sauce and some shredded cheese (mozz, provel, etc.)

For the pasta itself, I have found Chebe mixes and they are fabulous for all sorts of things. Homemade pizza and crackers and little biscuits.....and now pasta. I have used several of the flavors. The other day I used the bread mix and added some fresh grated romano cheese to the pasta..

Follow the directions on the package. I roll the dough out pretty thin, but not too thin as you will need to stretch it some over your filling. Use a cookie cutter and cut an even number of shapes, pull of the waste and save it for the next batch.

At this point I have a shallow pot of water boiling and ready to go.





Place 1 tbsp or so of chicken filling on half the shapes, place another of the pasta shapes over that and with it in your hands, press the edges to seal. Place the ravioli in the boiling water and keep an eye on it till it floats, then lift it out with a slotted spoon and make the next batch. I pour an alfredo sauce ontop, or the rest of the Classico. Enjoy with a salad or broccoli or whatever...

Other fillings you could try would be a cup or so of ricotta mixed with some shredded mozzerella or other white cheese.......sundried tomato pesto mixed with the chicken and some cheese....... sauteed diced mushrooms with cheese........ thawed chopped spinach with ricotta and cheddar..... whatever you come up with, you can be creative with this.
Chebe mixes may be hard to find, I have ordered them online from Chebe itself. The whole foods store nearby sells them as do most organic/whole foods, or ask your local grocer, they may be able to get them.

2 comments:

klg.glasgow said...

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to try this! :) Thanks for sharing.

klg.glasgow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.