Monday, January 15, 2007

Crab Cakes.....and Mango Salsa

Crab Cakes...OH MY, is there anything sweeter on this earth than fresh crabcakes with mango salsa????? I think NOT!!!

Anyway, I used to get these incredible crab cakes from this little restaurant in Delafield, but now with this whole gluten thing I can't get them anymore. So I HAD to figure out how to make them for myself. My biggest challenge was bread crumbs. Gluten Free Bread, even toasted, tends to get a bit mushy and expand, so I needed to find something else to use. I found.....THis (sorry the pic is sideways, I forgot to turn it before posting, and don't know how to turn it now...)



says GLUTEN FREE right on the label. I believe I got it from Sentry. ANYHOOOooooooo..... So with that problem solved I was off to cook...

6-8 oz lump crab meat
~~~(I used a bag of crab meat from the tuna aisle and have used canned also)
1 tbsp mayonnaise
a sprinkling of chives
1 tsp chopped roasted red bell pepper
~~~(you can use fresh red bell pepper, but the boys wouldn't eat it then) whaaaaateverrrrr
dash of garlic powder, or a minced clove
1 egg
a dash of black pepper
1/2 cup of the corn flake crumbs
~~~(regular corn flakes are NOT gluten free!!!)
a dash of Italian Seasonings

dash of cayenne pepper

1 tsp lemon juice


so, mix all that up in a bowl and form into patties, they will be sticky. As you form them into patties, roll in another 1/2 cup of corn flake crumbs mixed with another dash of Italian seasonings, to coat the patties. set aside on a layer of foil or waxed paper.

Melt 4-6 tbsp butter in large saute pan and fry the patties in that, turning once during the process to brown the other side. Took maybe 6 minutes or so for the first side. Place in platter and ENJOY!!!!! Makes about 8 patties, depending on how big you make yours.


You can serve with whatever you like, but peronally I love mango salsa on mine......here's that recipe.

P.S. you can broil these in the oven on low instead of frying them in butter, (spray with olive oil, or etc before) but they just are not as good as frying. I don't fry anything really, except this treat. Sometimes you just gotta...

MANGO SALSA

1 mango, diced small small pcs
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 jalepeno seeded and diced
1/2 lime juiced
chives to taste
1-2 tbsp finely chopped fresh red bell pepper

mix it all up and eat it with chips or CRAB CAKES!!!!!!!! or grilled fish, or chicken, or whatever......

Please notice that I do not give exact measurements, that is because most of the recipes that I use can be altered to suit your taste, you can not mess this up....just keep adding things until it tastes how you want it to taste.



And, yes, for those of you who like to use fresh everything, I sometimes do not have time or energy, so I cheat. I use jarred roasted red peppers in place of fresh red peppers a lot, especially when the crunch of fresh isn't necessary. and/or I am out of fresh. I use freeze dried chives a lot, instead of fresh, sometimes I just don't have them. I use the jar of refridgerated fresh diced garlic a lot, or garlic powder, I hate fooling with fresh garlic cloves. I haven't yet but could use canned crushed pineapple in place of fresh ( the boys love fresh pineapple, so I have it around a lot).

Just because I am a busy mom who is on the run constantly does not mean that I can not serve great food to my family. I just have to be a little creative and substitute where I can, most of the time, you'd never know. Most of my recipes I can have served in under 45 minutes. Very seldom does anything take longer than that, and 45 minutes is actually a long time for me.

I hope someone out there enjoys these as much as I do.....

No comments: