Sunday, January 7, 2007

First off.....GF flours and Banana Bread


I had MANY mishaps with GF flours. In the last few months I have discovered a flour mix that so far has been successful for me in all my old recipes that I have tried. I have been making my own mix which I found online. The mix is


2 cups brown-rice flour (extra finely ground)

2/3 cup potato starch

1/3 cup tapioca flour




Authentic Foods Extra Finely Ground Rice Flour is the one I have found to be the best when using this mix. The others brands that I tried were too gritty, didn't rise, blah, blah, blah...


Anyway, one our favorite recipes was Banana Bread. I hadn't made it in a while (over a year) because I am NOT baking something from scratch that I can not eat. And besides that, I got rid of all the wheat flours and etc.


SO, anyway, I am now able to use my old recipe and the kids are LOVING it!!!



SO here it is:



2/3 to 1 cup sugar

2-3 very ripe banana's, smashed

1/2 cup melted butter

2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp baking soda

3 tbsp milk

1 3/4 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp xanthum gum



Add smashed banana's to large mixing bowl, mix in sugar, then add butter and eggs, til creamy. Don't over blend. Stir baking soda into milk and add to mixture. Add flour and xanthum gum together and mix thouroughly.


Pour into greased bread pan (or lined muffin pans) and bake at 350 for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Muffins will need a much shorter bake time, 30 ish minutes. If you are using a convection oven (which I do) then the cooking time is closer to 45min.


For a crunchy top, sprinkle top of unbaked bread with sugar before putting into oven.


Cool in pan, slice and enjoy.


--------

Now, just to forewarn everyone. I am one of those cooks who does NOT keep exact measurements of things. I cook according to taste and texture and etc. So any recipe you come across from me, may need to be played with to match your tastes.


For example, the Banana Bread can be adjusted by the amount of sugar, I prefer mine less sweet, so I use 2/3 cup, but you can easily add more if you like.


I'd love to add walnuts or pecans to mine, but the the kids wouldn't eat it, so I don't. But YOU can add 1/2 cup or so before baking.


Using GF flours can sometimes cause drier results, so if your mix looks a little dry add a bit more milk or water before baking (1 tbsp at a time), it should be a smooth batter, not thick or lumpy.

Good luck.......

No comments: