Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Apple Pie Dump



Ok, so mom used to make this dump cake when we were kids and I made it as an adult, it was one of Sean's favorites, and mine too, but since not being able to eat gluten anymore I haven't made it.

Well, tonight I did some experimenting. And boy, oh boy was it yummy!!! and EASY... I really like simple and easy and fast..... yeah, you can take that anyway you want. ANYWAY.....

Here's what I did....

Apple Filling



5-6 apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 to 1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 to 1 cup sugar, I used half brown, half white (about 1/3 cup each, sorry i don't measure)
1/4 cup lemon juice, or one fresh lemon juiced
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice


Crumbled Topping

1 cupish of Pamela's Baking Mix
1 stick of butter, softened (NOT melted....Paula!)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh chopped nuts, pecans, walnuts, etc (can be omitted)

Heat oven to 375. Mix all the ingredients to the apple filling and place in a 2 quart baking dish. In large bowl mix the crumbled topping ingredients until crumbly (hence the name crumbled topping), I used 2 knives to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. If you need me to explain "cut in the butter" shoot me an email or whatever. Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until browned on top and apples are bubbly.

Let set a few minutes, serve with vanilla ice cream. mmmmmmm....good!!

I made spaghetti and meatballs, easy easy, so I had a few minutes to throw this together.....I had it all in the pan within 15 minutes or so.

3 comments:

Diana said...

That sounds yummy! I'll have to try it. I've tried the Chicken tacos and it was great.

Paula said...

Yummy!! I love apple pie, stuff. I'm assuming I can substitute the rice flour for reg. flour?

I have the pamelas stuff, but what if someone doesn't? Sub, Bisquick? Or what would you recommend?

Jen said...

Yes, you can substitute regular wheat flour for the rice (tapioca starch works well too).

And as for the substitute for Pamela's, mom used to use a box of Jiffy yellow cake mix, although I think Bisquick would work too. Try it and let you gluten eaters know!!!!

Diana, I'm glad you liked the chicken taco thing...it is one of our staples......