Saturday, February 3, 2007

More Soups....

It's about -5 outside right now and so I made soups tonight. 2 kinds, cuz that is just how I am, plus now I don't have to make a lot tomorrow!!!
anyway....
I had some leftover shrimp from the other night and needed to use it up, so I found a couple recipes online, butchered them up really good to use what I had on hand and came up with this. It is really good!!!



1 large can tomato sauce

1 can Rotel tomato's

1 ctr (15oz) Healthy Valley Tomato Bisque

1 can corn with peppers

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice

1 tsp basil ( I like to use the refrigerated stuff that comes in a jar, more like fresh, but doesn't go bad as fast)

1 tsp thyme

about 2 cups cooked shrimp, peeled, tail off, etc (I also cut mine into more bite sized pcs)

1 can crab meat, juice drained and dumped

2 cans diced clams, juice drained and reserved

Pour all the tomato products in large stockpot, add one large can of water, add rice, seasonings, clam juice and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pot, simmer until rice is cooked. Add corn, heat through, add seafood, stir well and serve immediately.

Mine was a little thick, but I liked it that way, you could thin it with some chicken broth or V-8 juice if you want. I would have used V-8 if I'd had any anyway, but was out and NOT going to the store to get it.

Some fresh cilantro would be good in this too, my leftover shrimp had fresh cilantro on it, so there happened to be some in my soup by default.

Mushroom & Potato Soup

This one turned out totally different than I expected, but it was awesome. Has a smokey flavor from the bacon, that I guess I just didn't think about before I tasted it.

6-7 slices Hormel precooked bacon, cut into bite size pcs.

1-2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms

drizzle or 2 of olive oil

1 can diced new potato's, plus 2 cans of water

1 1/2 tsp Better Than Boullion Chicken flavor

2 cups shredded potatoes (those refrigerated bagged kind)

1 can Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup

Fresh shredded Mozzerella cheese for garnish.

Saute the mushrooms in the olive oil, add bacon while sauteing. Add diced potatoes, 2 cans water, chicken boullion and shredded potatoes. Heat well, then add the cream of mushroom soup, stir well and serve with mozzerella on top.

No comments: