Monday, July 7, 2008

Egg Rolls

I've been wanting to make these for days and finally had some time to do so. It wasn't that hard and they turned out pretty good. Grant loved them! I thought they were a little bland without the sweet and sour sauce, but with the sweet and sour sauce they were awesome. Since David didn't like them anyway, I will spice them up some more next time.

1 pkg finely grated coleslaw mix (just cabbage and carrots)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 roasted chicken, deboned, skinned and chopped
4-5 green onions sliced thin
2 scrambled eggs, finely chopped
2 tbsp San-J soy sauce
a sprinkling of onion powder
black pepper
ginger
I wanted to add garlic powder, but I was out!

16 spring roll skins

mix all the ingredients, except the wrappers in large bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 400, line a baking pan with foil and spray with cooking oil. Get a large pie plate, large enough for a skin to be completely submerged, and fill with hot water.

YOu have to do one skin at a time or else they get too mushy. Submerge a skin in water and hold for about 20 seconds, pat it on a towel until it starts to get sticky, then add a heaping 2-3 tbsp of cabbage mixture, tuck skin over top, then do sides and roll up tightly. (Basically the same way you would roll a burrito, only do both ends)

Place on baking sheet, and go to the next one. After they are all done, spray lightly with some more oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, take out of oven and serve with sweet and sour sauce and enjoy!

I did broil mine the last few minutes, to brown them up, but they ended up splitting, so I'm not sure I will do this next time. They still tasted great, just were split down the sides.

3 comments:

Paula said...

I just found your blog looking for a gluten free crab cake recipe. Yours looks great with the corn flakes. Anyway, I started to browse around your blog, and came across these egg rolls. What a great recipe! And since I just made spring rolls a couple days ago, I have the spring roll sheets! My youngest daughter is a gluten-free eater, so this is perfect for us! Great blog!

Jen said...

Thanks! I make crab cakes all the time now. If I am out of GF corn flake crumbs I use any GF cracker run through the food processor as a substitute. My family LOVES these......and the salmon ones too. Only way I can get 2 of the boys to go near salmon otherwise!

TF said...

Bless you for doing this. I'm a single mom of a preschooler and we both have celiac. I've been looking for GF egg rolls and meatballs and came across your blog while looking up if brie was gluten free. Your recipes are making my day!