Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Cut Out Sugar Cookies

Merry Christmas!!!!


I am baking today, and one of my all time favorite Christmas cookies are cut out cookies. They are an absolute must for Christmas. I had a recipe that I followed faithfully every year because I didn't have to refrigerate the dough before rolling, so I dug it out and modified it for gluten free cookies!


YUMMM!!!!


***note*** melted butter is NOT softened butter. Melted butter is melted. Softened butter is soft but not liquid.....makes a huge difference.....just ask Paula...haha!


1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp baking powder

2 1/2 cups Authentic Foods Multi Blend flour mix (this mix has xanthum gum in it already)


Preheat oven to 400 Line cookie sheets with parchement paper, set aside.

In stand mixer bowl, whip butter until smooth, add sugar, mix till smooth again, add egg and vanilla....mix......... In seperate bowl mix flour and baking powder...... add 1/2 cup flour at a time, till you reach 2 cups.....mix well after each addition, and also scrape sides of bowl after each. You may need to use the dough attachment to mix.

on clean surface (counter top) scrape dough out of bowl. Knead a little bit if needed to form into large ball, and use a bit of the last 1/2 cup flour on surface and hands if needed to help with sticking. Break into 2 balls, set one aside.

Begin rolling one ball into a 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick circle, about 12" diameter. (I like a thicker cookie, and I use the Pampered Chef baker's roller to roll). Cut with cookie cutters, placing the cookies on prepared cookie sheet.

Bake in oven for 7-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your cookie and the size/shape. And start on the other ballof dough...... Remove from oven when edges start to brown and cool on rack. Decorate as desired......

***I had to do some research, but did find that CakeMate decorations (colored sugars, nonpareils, etc) are gluten free, along with McCormick food dyes. For about 1/3 of the dough I used some green food coloring and added a little more of that last 1/2 cup flour to make the green Christmas trees.


The glaze I used was this one..... only I used some fruit juice for flavoring and didn't add any food coloring until the end, and then I added some more sugar and corn syrup with the food coloring.


I LOVE the way these turned out!


I hope you all have a blessed and merry Christmas!!!!

No comments: