Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pot Roast

So, as I mentioned earlier, it is Grant's birthday today. And I always let the birthday person pick what they want to do about dinner. So Grant chooses Pot Roast. In the summer, whatever, he's goofy and we love him anyway.

So I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to make pot roast, but thought I'd just post it anyway, just in case.

So you get a huge hunk of meat, the cheap stuff, like a rump roast or something similar. Do NOT buy a good piece of tenderloin or something like that......Mike can fill you in on why that is a bad idea.

Anywhoooo, so brown the hunk of meat in a skillet, while sprinkling liberal amounts of Lawry's season salt on top. Meanwhile, rinse and cut whole carrots into large chunks..do the same with potatoes, I use the Yukon Gold in this recipe, toss those in the bottom of a large crock pot, sprinkle more Lawry's, place the browned meat on top of the veggies, put about 2 cups of water in there with a 12 oz bottle of low sodium v-8 (there's enough sodium already). I add fresh or frozen green beans about half way through cooking, so they aren't too mushy.

so turn that on high and let it set for the day. Meat should fall apart and you can make a yummmy gravy with the juice before serving.

4 comments:

Apostle to Suburbia said...

Actually, this was a really helpful recipe. Thanks!

Kari Calhoun said...

Yummy! I think everyone loves a good pot roast. I was thrilled to have found such an easy recipe that didn't call for flour and the V-8 is such a good idea! I like to cook as well and having Celiac makes experimenting in the kitchen both a challenge and a thrill. I had some ideas on what I would do and just wanted to double check to see if there was anything out there that would make it taste like my mother's pot roast, just minus the flour. This looks perfect and I can't wait to try it out today. Thanks. :)

sister-in-law said...

What do you add to the gravy instead of flour? Corn starch? Anything else?

Jen said...

yep, cornstarch! That's what I have always used actually. I'm sure you could substiute rice flour or etc.