Sunday, August 5, 2007

What CAN you eat?????

It always cracks me up for some reason when people ask me "well what CAN you eat?" um, how's about the food that grows from the earth that God put there for me????

Gluten free eating is probably the healthiest you can get. The main things you are eliminating are the processed, prepackaged foods that we rely on way to much and that make us a "fat" country. Sliced cucumbers dipped in hummus, fresh ham, salmon, any fresh fruit and veggie. I have for years been cooking fresh and am amazed when people prefer overly processed foods to fresh foods.

God did not make all these glorious plants for us to just look at, He made them for us to nourish our bodies. Some family members who I shall NOT name, are still giving me the eye when I am eating with them. They heavily salt everything and eat a lot of prepackaged processed foods and I can't eat that, most of it has gluten, so I usually bring something I can eat, or I ask them to leave the sauce off or etc. They like to make comments about my dry chicken or whatever...it's nice...

But honestly, I trully think food is usually better eaten just the way God made it. I do use a lot of pre chopped or canned things, but I try to buy canned things that have the fewest number of ingredients on the list. And I try to make sure I can actually pronounce all the ingredients.

I've been eating fresh sliced tomatoes from the 'garden' all weekend, and just thinking how wonderful they are. It's the only time I can just eat a tomato plain, fresh from the garden. So yummy. I've got one zucchini and one red pepper ready to grill and several little cucumbers that are doing their thing.

Anyway, I guess this post is just to tell people that gluten free is not that scary, and I don't feel it is that limiting. I can still eat chocolate. Eating out is a bit of a challenge, but I've not starved yet! I can almost always get a baked potato.

No comments: