Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sweet potato pie

Personally I think the secret to fabulous sweet potato anything is to bake the potatoes in the oven. The microwave works ok too, but I do NOT recommend boiling or etc.

2-3 sweet potatoes (about 2 cups), baked and cooled
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar (I am going to try brown sugar next time)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp good quality dark rum
4 tbsp melted butter

one pie crust (I used a Gluten Free Pantry mix, but I prebaked it and let it cool, I just have better luck when I prebake those)

Preheat oven to 425. Skin the potatoes and cube, place in food processor. Run processor until smooth. Add eggs, milk, sugar, seasonings, rum and butter, run processor until well blended and no lumps or chunks.

Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, reduce heat to 300, bake an additional 40-50 minutes or until center is set. Add some mashmallows if desired and bake an additional 10 minutes or until marshmallows are browned and puffy (they will set as they cool)...enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Rach said...

Hi there!

Your recipes look DIVINE! I'm looking forward to trying some of them now that I've poked around. :o)

I have to laugh at your screen name. You see, Brien's sister is "Jen" who's actually a "Jennifer" who's father calls her "Fred". Small world, no?

I don't know if you've seen it, but you left a wonderful offer on my blog and I'd LOVE to take you up on it! I'm more than willing to pay for the paper, just let me know! If you'll leave me your email addy in my comments, B won't post it and I can contact you.

Thanks for all your kind words and support over the past few months. I really appreciate it! :o)