Saturday, April 14, 2007

Homemade Manicotti...noodles and all!!!!

So we were at Carraba's last weekend and Sean gets manicotti, and I have not had manicotti in a least a year and a half, and SO........I start looking for recipes for the noodles. I found several that seemed way tooo easy, so I thought I'd give it a shot and change things to make the GF.

It wasn't that hard or time consuming at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

1 cup Authentic Foods GF Mulit Blend Flour
(I choose this one b/c it already has xantham gum in it)
4 eggs
a dash of olive oil
1 3/4 to 2 cups water

Mix well to form a smooth thin batter. Pour by ladel full onto a hot griddle, and cook until film covers top....no need to flip. Set aside to cool. I made about 9 "pancakes" with my batter.....only used 6 though for the casserole. (ate one and will save the other 2 for later!!)

**If you use regular wheat flour then decrease the amount of water....start with 1 cup and add by 1/4 cups until you get the right consistency****



Spray 9X13 casserole dish with olive oil. Spread about a 1/2 cup or so tomato based pasta sauce on bottom.

Filling:

15-16 oz container of Ricotta cheese
1 1/2 ish cups Provolone, mozzerella, asiago shredded cheese mix
1/2 cupish grated Romano and/or Parmesan blend
1 egg

mix above 4 ingredients well, scoop large spoonfuls onto center of manicotti pancake, roll up and place seam side down in prepared casserole dish. Pour rest of pasta sauce over noodles, sprinkle another 1/2 cup or so of the Mozzerella, Provolone cheese blend and Parmesan cheese blend over top. Cover with foil, bake in preheated 350 oven for 20 minutes, uncover, bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes or so before serving.

YUMMMmmmmm!!!!! The boys LOVED this, Grant even had seconds.......

And I have some ideas to make a Mexican dish using these "pancakes".....will post on that when I get around to experimenting........

No comments: